Sunday, September 14, 2008

Death of a Hamster

On Saturday, Hammie the hamster passed away.  I noticed this week that she was lethargic and seemed to have lost weight.  She didn't run on the wheel anymore and appeared to just sleep all the time.  On Friday, I moved her into a wooden basket lined with a towel.  She was weak and breathing quickly.  I took her to the vet at E-mart.  I didn't think he could do much but I would feel bad if I didn't try my best to help her.  As I suspected the vet at E-mart didn't offer any help.  He gave me a peculiar look when I told him my hamster was lethargic, then he shrugged and said he didn't know what to do.  Later that night, her condition deteriorated. She was breathing heavily and very weak.  Early Saturday morning when I got back from a party, Hammie could barely sit up and she was gasping for breath.  She died that night.  Today, Fraser and I spent Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) having a picnic by the river.  After the picnic, we sent Hammie down the river in a little soapbox.  Luckily her sister doesn't seem to be ill.  On Saturday, I handed over custody of Samster to her new adoptive mother, Amy, who is a friend of a friend of mine.  She was really excited and she is going to buy Samster a new friend to play with.  It was tough saying goodbye to both my hamsters this weekend, but it's for the best because I am leaving soon.

0041

0241

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cried!

 
eXTReMe Tracker