Monday, October 15, 2007

Weekend in Daegu

I've only been here just over a week and a half, so I decided to stay in the city and become more familiar with my surroundings. Saturday morning, I went to my second Korean class. It was really fun. The Korean teachers are so nice. They said we're going to have a picnic at the one of the large universities at the beginning of November. Here's a pic of my class:

After class, I checked out a department store nearby and tempted by some cheesy bread in the food section. So much for a healthy diet. Afterwards, I was really tired, so I headed home and took a nap. Gwen called me a couple hours later and she, Diana and I went to Costco. The Costco in Daegu has two floors. One for household products like chairs and detergent and another floor just for food. It's huge. I was tempted again by a huge container of cheese balls, but I was able to resist. I guess I was really craving cheese. I bought some basics, like cereal, milk, and bagels. A dozen bagels was about $5, not too shabby.

The next day, I went downtown and met up with my friend, Walita. She's from Toronto and teaches in another part of Daegu. The plan was to go to the Colourful Daegu Festival. Unfortunately, we didn't exactly know where the festival was. We decided to just start walking in the direction we thought it was. Along the way, we went down any alley that looked interesting. Unfortunately, we ventured down dead dog alley where every table had a skinned dead dog. They weren't even cut up! There were entire dogs lying there with tails, teeth, and heads. I thought I would be okay with the whole eating dog thing because meat is meat, but there's something about the sight of a whole dead dog that just seems wrong. Part of me wanted to take a picture, but I'm sure no one wants to see that.

We eventually made it to the festival by walking along the Sincheon River and asking many people on the way. It was so much fun. There was a lot of music and dancing. My favourite part was trying on a traditional Korean dress. There was a photographer there, who wouldn't stop taking pictures of Walita and I. He would make us wear masks, smile, pretend to laugh...We may end up in a magazine or billboard one day. We went along with it for a bit, but afterwards we just walked away from him. Our wonderful day ended with some Korean BBQ. It was soooo good. I think the lady working there knew we were completely clueless and stood by our table the entire time cooking and cutting our meat. It was a very tasty ending to a great day.


Note: If you want to leave a comment for my entries, just click on the comment button below any of the posts.

2 comments:

Alita said...

thank god you did not take pictures of the dead dog!you look beautiful in tha traditional korean outfit.

Samantha said...

Awww thanks mom!!

 
eXTReMe Tracker