The past couple weeks finally caught up with me and this weekend I started to feel a bit sick. Mostly just a little congestion and coughing, nothing seriously. It's more annoying than anything else. I decided to just take it a bit easier this weekend and take a break from the bars.
After Korean class on Saturday, a bunch of us went out for our weekly lunch. I learned how to say "I don't like spicy food" and "I don't like eggs", so I was able to order my bibimbap (hot rice dish usually served very spicy with a raw egg on top) the way I like it. It was a bit bland, but at least I could eat more of it. Afterwards, we went in search of donuts and ended up at Crispy Creme. Koreans love their Crispy Creme. You can see them walking around downtown with boxes of that stuff. I decided to have a cookie, chocolate, NY cheesecake donut. Some things in life are worth being fat for and that donut certainly is one of them. It was totally worth the calories, which I'll be working off at Taekwondo for the next 2 weeks.
After that delicious donut, I went home, did some laundry and crashed for a couple hours. Then I went to meet up with my friend, Walita, who lives about an hour away by subway. The plan for the night was a sleepover filled with pizza, wine, watching Friends, popcorn, and catching up on each other's lives. It was a really great time. Walita is about 12 years older than me, but she's really cool to hang out with and we have tons in common. She's definitely one of the best people I've met here so far.
The next day, we watched some more friends and then made our way downtown. It was a pretty cold day and the crisp air reminded me of home. We went to the Kyobo bookstore downtown, which has a decent sized English section then looked at all the weird Korean fashions in the stores. The most ridiculous thing we found was a pair of ballet flats with built-in leg warmers. I think they go with the tights with stirrups that are so popular here. For lunch, we had some good pasta at Italy and Italy. Then Walita had to go home. She's still recovering from a bad kidney infection and was a bit sore.
I wandered over to The Holy Grill, which is a restaurant owned by a Canadian. Every Sunday at 4 pm, they play hockey night in Canada from the night before. I met a bunch of really cool Canadians and a couple of Americans there. We talked about how much we miss Tim Horton's commercials and the voice of the commentators during the hockey game. It was great to have a little bit of home in Korea and really great to see the Leafs beat the Sens.
No comments:
Post a Comment