Thursday, November 8, 2007

The ups and downs of teaching

Since this is my first teaching gig, I've been learning a lot as I go along.  Luckily Gwen was there for the first month, so I could watch her and try to follow her lead as much as possible.  There are some times where a particular class is just completely brutal to teach, especially when you have an entire class of students who don't do their homework.  Some of the classes with older students have little cliques.  I'll walk into a class and there will 3 pairs of girls sitting as far as possible from each other.  Of course, I make them move closer so it's easier to teach.  Stuff like that makes me happy I'm not a teenage girl anymore.  In one of my classes today, one girl was so determined to sit next to her friend that she picked up a desk and tried to cram it into an already full row of desks.  I wasn't impressed so I told her if she makes trouble about where she sits, I'm going to pick her seat for every class and she's not going to be happy about it.  Sometimes I get tired of yelling at these kids, but I'd rather have them scared of me than let think they can walk all over me.

Some of my classes go really well.  My class of really little kids was really fun today.  We did a game where I described a girl or boy in their book and they had to find the right picture.  (Right now I'm teaching them "thin", "fat", "tall", "short", etc.).  They really liked this game and were incredibly enthusiastic.  Their little hands were in the air and they were screaming trying to volunteer their answer.  It was a lot of fun.

On Thursdays, I get a 2 hour break and get to go home early.  During my break, I went to a store to buy and iron and ironing board.  While I was there, I ran into one of my students and her mom, who also does Taekwando with me sometimes.  She bought me dinner, which was meat that looked like liver or a kidney and soup.  It was okay.  The meat was a bit weird though.  Afterwards, she bought me some chocolate muffins and drove me home.  The generosity I experience here never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker