Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving dinner and Mom's visit

I haven't written in awhile because I've been busy being sick, going out and hanging out with my mom.  Last Thursday was American Thanksgiving and some of my friends were able to buy a turkey dinner from one of the army bases in Daegu.  I think there are about 3 bases around the city.  Eight of us gathered for Thanksgiving dinner (6 Canadians and 2 Americans).  We had turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, roasted veggies and ice cream for dessert.  It was amazingly good, especially after eating gimbap for the last month and a half.  It was a good night of hanging out, eating turkey and watching Labyrinth. 

On Friday after classes, Samson and I went to pick up my mom from the bus station.  She took an airport limousine from Incheon Airport in Seoul to Daegu.  It took about 4 and a half hours, but it was only $35.  When we got there, her bus hadn't arrived yet, so we had some soup at a restaurant across the street.  After the soup, I looked out the window and my mom was standing there about to call me at a payphone.  I was so happy to see her.  I didn't realize how much I missed my mom until I saw her.  When we got back to my apartment, she showed me all the stuff she brought me.  It was mostly clothes and food from home and the Philippines.  Lipton sidekicks never looked so good.

The next day, my mom and I went downtown and did some shopping.  I got a purse, a book, a puzzle, a shirt and some bunny slippers for my cold apartment.  There wasn't much to buy there because I'm not really into Korean fashion.  We hung out in the Kyobo bookstore for awhile, which has a decent sized English section and a Starbucks.  Afterwards, we ate at the Outback Steakhouse (the medium steak there is really medium rare) then we went home and just relaxed.

On Sunday, we went to E-mart and bought a ton of stuff for my apartment.  My apartment is a lot more organized and efficient now.  I'll post pictures of the changes soon.  After shopping we ate at Pizza Hut and then spent more money at the Adidas outlet store.  Usually I wouldn't be caught dead in an Adidas tracksuit, but there isn't anyone to laugh at me and call me a gina in Korea, so I'm okay with it for now.  Afterwards, we went back to my apartment and set everything up we bought then went out to dinner at an authentic Korean BBQ.  It was a lot of fun and we had some good pork.  All the food in the picture was only $10.  On Monday morning, mom caught the bus back to the airport.  I'm so happy she came to see me, especially since I probably won't see her again until I get home.  10 more months!!!!

003

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker