Monday, November 19, 2007

Writing in red

My tiny cold has gone to my sinuses and it's really starting to bother me.  There's a lot of pressure in my head and I'm congested and coughing all the time.  It's really crappy and I'm hoping I feel better by the time my mom gets here. 

Yesterday while feeling sick and teaching, I started writing the names of my kids on the whiteboard.  I do that so I can give them stars if they get participate.  If they get enough stars, they can get play money to buy pens and notebooks.  This time when I started writing their names, tiny gasps came from the students behind me after every name I wrote.  By the time, I got to the 4th or 5th name, I realized that I was writing their names in red (something you only do for dead people here in Korea).  I apologized to the kids.  Thankfully, they seemed to forget about it by the end of class.  It was a rather minor incident, but a cultural faux pas nonetheless.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker